Tuesday, January 30, 2007

ON SELLING MY CAR

I'm trying to sell my car and the whole process feels like I'm chewing on broken glass.

OK, I admit, chewing broken glass would hurt considerably more than selling my beloved car. However, this experience has re-affirmed for me how little preparation school has given me for one of the most important skills I will ever need in life: negotiation.

It is a skill I will need to draw upon when making the most important financial decisions of my life. Accepting a job offer, buying a mortgage, making a car purchase and, yes, getting out of cleaning the kitty litter; they all require the effective use of negotiation.

The sale of my car should go through tomorrow. If it goes through, or even if it doesn't, I will make my first series of entries on what I have learned on negotiation.

No comments: